Anthropological Association of the Philippines
The 24th National UGAT Conference
"ROOTWORK AND NETWORK: WEAVING MINDANAO ANTHROPOLOGY"
8-10 April 2002, Island Garden City of Samal
How has Mindanao been imagined, taught, and studied?
What are the cultural dimensions of the so-called Mindanao conflict?
What indigenous energies can be tapped for peace?
How do we celebrate diversity and creativity in the face
of global economy and information technology?
What do anthropologists have to say about development,
missionary work, Islamic movements, and Lumad struggle?
And how can voices from grassroots initiatives
challenge professional practice in anthropology?
These and other questions promise to enrich our conversation on the southern Philippines. This three-day conference is designed to consolidate our insights from decades of fieldwork and archival work in Mindanao. It promises to generate new research approaches to match the urgency and complexity of Mindanao issues. Aside from commissioned papers on the past, present and prospects of anthropology in Mindanao, the conference highlights the following topics for panel discussion:
- Mindanao Archaeology, History, and Ecology
- Indigenous Art, Music and Ritual
- Cultures of Peace, Violence and Development
- Asia-Pacific Perspectives on Mindanao
Other features of the conference includes:
- Special recognition to eminent Mindanao scholars: Schlegel, Maceda, Solheim, Bernad, Schreurs, Madale and Nimmo
- Visit to Samal caves, and dinner with City officials
- Dialogue with grassroots anthropologists and advocates
- Launching of MA and PhD in Anthropology with special reference to Mindanao
- Showing of documentary film on indigenous peoples, produced by PCIJ
- Poster presentation (not limited to Mindanao issues), book sale, and book launching
Due to limited number of cottages, we sincerely recommend that you make your reservation through fax or email by 25 February 2002.
For more information, please contact the secretariat:
Penny Sans or Perpy Tio
Mindanawon Initiatives for Cultural Dialogue
Ateneo de Davao University, 8000 Davao City
Tel. (082) 2212411, loc. 8724, 8716
Fax (082) 2212411, loc. 8267
Convenor Albert E. Alejo, SJ (Mindanawon Initiatives for Cultural Dialogue)
Head of Secretariat Penny Sanz (ADDU Business Administration Division)
Perpy Tio (Mindanawon Initiatives for Cultural Dialogue)
Meong Cabarde (ADDU Social Science Division)
Pam Castrillo (ADDU Humanities Division)
Bebeth (ADDU Social Research, Training & Development Office)
Paul Tuvillo (STI Computer Education)
Macky Homez, Maybelle, Melrose, Rey of IGACOS City Government Office
Documentation Mindanews writers
*In cooperation with the Mindanao Consortium for Professional Practice in Anthropology, Mindanawon Initiatives for Cultural Dialogue, Social Science and Education Division of Ateneo de Davao University, Philippine Social Science Council, and the City Government of the Island Garden City of Samal.